NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Updated: Friday, February 12, 2016, 2:35 AM
Donald Trump sued Univision over the network’s decision to drop the Miss Universe and Miss USA pageants.
Donald Trump and Univision have settled their lawsuit over the Spanish language network’s decision to drop the Miss Universe and Miss USA pageants, the media company announced Thursday.
The terms of the agreement are confidential, according to a Univision spokeswoman.
Univision dumped the pageants, then-owned by the bombastic billionaire, because he’d “offended millions” with comments at his presidential campaign announcement in June that Mexico had been sending druggies and rapists over the border into the U.S.
Univision dropped the Miss Universe and Miss USA pageants after Donald Trump made disparaging remarks about Mexicans.
Trump shot back with a $ 500 million civil suit alleging both breach of contract and defamation.
The suit said Univision didn’t have the right to abandon the contests, and that a network honcho smeared him by sharing an image of Trump alongside South Carolina church-murderer Dylann Roof, with the words “No Comments.”
Univision execs argued Trump’s ugly comments about illegal Mexican immigrants were “cataclysmic” and voided their agreement.
Univision President and CEO Randy Falco said, “we are pleased to settle this matter and move forward.”
In court filings, Trump’s lawyers countered his statements were “foreseeable” because he has a long history of bad-mouthing illegal immigrants, and Univision did not have the right to abandon the contests.
Trump and Univision head Randy Falco said in a joint statement that they were happy with the settlement.
“I have known Univision’s President and CEO, Randy Falco, for more than 20 years and I’m glad we are able to put these differences behind us,” Trump said.
Falco said he’d known “Trump for many years in both a personal and professional capacity and we are pleased to settle this matter and move forward.”