NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Saturday, December 19, 2015, 7:51 AM
Parents at a California elementary school took their kids out of class after their annual trip to visit Santa Claus was canceled following a complaint from a Jewish mom.
About 30 students were taken to see St. Nick by their parents who were furious that the Sartorette Elementary School in San Jose canceled their trip.
The mom — named only as Talia — was accused of a “war on Christmas” by other parents angry that the annual trip was called off, reported NBC Bay Area.
Talia wrote a letter to the school because she did not want her daughter to go on the trip where the children write letters to Santa then deliver them and sit on his lap.
Parents wore Santa hats as they staged a walkout when the school canceled the annual visit to Santa Claus.
Talis has argued that the public school should respect and focus on all religions during the holiday season
“This is not a Jewish issue for me. It’s an inclusion issue,” Talia told NBC Bay Area.
“We can’t spend five days on just one culture. That’s fostering intolerance. When Christmas is given the same time, or less time, than American holidays, like Veterans Day, then kids don’t feel as American.”
In response, the school’s principal and superintendent decided to cancel the trip, prompting the walkout Friday.
Vanessa Howe, who organized the walkout, said she disagreed with the school’s decision.
“We had a person come in last week to my son’s class to speak about Hanukkah, and it would be like saying, ‘I don’t want you coming into the classroom because I don’t want my son around that, or learning about that,’” said Howe.
Talia’s daughter’s class instead held their own holiday party, where parents from eight cultures described their customs.
School officials said no offense was intended and that they strive for inclusion for all beliefs.
“Our biggest commitment is inclusion. This isn’t about Santa,” said Superintendent Carrie Andrews.
“Santa is everywhere, he’s all around town. But during school, we have to represent and reflect our community to make sure we’re inclusive of all beliefs.”
ON A MOBILE DEVICE? WATCH THE VIDEO HERE.
- 1 Texas teacher, 28, busted for sexual relations with 2 boys
- 2 Zaevion Dobson, HS football star, shot dead saving 3 girls
- 3 Trump rep: What good is nuclear triad if afraid to use it?
- 4 Poll finds 41% likely Trump voters would bomb ‘Aladdin’ city
- 5 N.J. man busted for movie bomb threat as ‘Star Wars’ opens
- 6 Zadroga Act reauthorization finally passes through Congress
- 7 ‘Pharma Bro’ Martin Shkreli, hated CEO, arrested for fraud
- 8 Bernie Sanders campaign reaches deal with Democratic Nationa
- 9 Imprisoned Florida sex predator tried to hire hitman
- 10 Louisiana teachers formally charged in student-sex case
- 1 Russell Pearce, GOP Arizona state senator, author of controversial immigration law, voted out of office
- 2 Stasi: Woody Allen, Mia Farrow drama worthy of a talk show
- 3 Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer: Christie lieutenants connected Sandy money to redevelopment
- 4 Crooks target homes in evacuated zones as Colorado suffers most destructive wildfire ever