Home / Top Story / Port Authority bomber mocked Trump hours before attack

Port Authority bomber mocked Trump hours before attack

The accused Port Authority bomber posted a taunting message to President Trump in the hours before his bungled attack, authorities said Tuesday.

“Trump you failed to protect your nation,” Akayed Ullah, 27, wrote on Facebook early Monday along with a message declaring his allegiance to the Islamic State, according to a federal complaint.

The glimpse into Ullah’s poisoned mind was revealed hours after he was hit with federal terrorism charges.

Prosecutors say the ISIS-inspired former livery cab driver was hoping to kill as many people as possible when he detonated a crude pipe bomb strapped to his chest while walking through a subway passageway near the Port Authority Bus Terminal on Monday morning.

Police in Bangladesh grill Port Authority bomber’s wife, in-laws

Ullah, who planned to die in the attack, left behind evidence of his festering rage toward the U.S.

Investigators scouring the suspect’s Brooklyn home turned up a passport in his name with a chilling handwritten note.

“O America, die in your rage,” it read, the complaint says.

The investigators also found metal pipes, Christmas light fragments and screws that matched the items used in the clumsily constructed bomb found at the scene, according to the complaint.

Port Authority bomber was not known to police before attack

Akayed Ullah, 27, was hit with charges of weapons possession, supporting an act of terrorism and making a terroristic threat for the Monday morning attack.

Akayed Ullah, 27, was hit with charges of weapons possession, supporting an act of terrorism and making a terroristic threat for the Monday morning attack.

In interviews with investigators, the Bangladeshi man said he carried out the attack in part as retaliation for U.S. policies in the Middle East. “I did it for the Islamic State,” Ullah told police, court documents say.

The failed suicide bomber also told detectives he targeted the underground tunnel, which links the Times Square and Port Authority 42nd St. subway stations, on a weekday to inflict maximum carnage.

Acting Manhattan U.S. Attorney Joon Kim said Ullah traveled to the heart of Midtown with a “hate-filled heart and an evil purpose.”

“In the middle of rush hour — as everyday New Yorkers hurried to their jobs, to their schools, ready to start the workweek and get going with their busy lives — one man came to kill, to maim, and to destroy,” Kim said.

Trump blames ‘chain migration’ for Port Authority bombing

“For that man, the corridors under Port Authority, the gateway into this city for hundreds of thousands of commuters every day, was a place to murder as many innocent human beings as he could and to blow himself up in the process — all in support of a vicious terrorist cause.”

The seeds of Ullah’s radicalization were sown about 2014, when he started watching Islamic State videos online, the complaint says.

Ullah told police he began doing online research on how to build homemade explosives about a year ago.

working on spec

Pipe bomb explosion in subway near Port Authority terminal

He dedicated himself to attacking the U.S. after seeing instructions that “if supporters of ISIS were unable to travel overseas to join ISIS, they should carry out attacks in their homelands,” the complaint reads.

Port Authority bombing suspect carried out attack in name of ISIS

Ullah, who sources said was most recently working as an electrician, gathered together the bombmaking materials about two to three weeks ago, court papers say. In need of a pipe, Ullah swiped one from his work site near the bus terminal, sources said.

He built the bomb in his Ocean Parkway apartment roughly a week before the attack, according to the criminal complaint.

The device, strapped to his chest with wires and zip ties, consisted of a 12-inch metal pipe filled with explosive powder and metal screws. It was attached to Christmas tree lights and a 9-volt battery designed to spark its detonation.

Federal prosecutors charged Ullah with five counts, including providing material support to a terrorist group and use of weapons of mass destruction.

Port Authority bombing left one victim temporarily deaf

He faces 20 years to life in prison.

The would-be martyr was seriously injured in the 7:20 a.m. blast Monday, when the bomb failed to detonate fully.

The pipe bomb failed to detonate fully and Ullah was the only person seriously wounded by the blast.

The pipe bomb failed to detonate fully and Ullah was the only person seriously wounded by the blast.

(Andres Kudacki/AP)

Three others suffered minor injuries in the rush-hour attack that triggered panic and chaos.

Officials said the damage would have been far worse had the bomb went off properly. “It didn’t function with the force and power that the recipe intended it to,” NYPD Deputy Commissioner of Intelligence and Counterterrorism John Miller said in an interview on “CBS This Morning.”

Families of cops who stopped NYC bomber swell with pride

“I think what we saw yesterday was something that could have been far, far worse.”

Officials said Ullah, who arrived in the U.S. from Bangladesh in 2011 on a visa available to certain relatives of American citizens, never appeared on any terror lists and was unknown to authorities.

The investigation into his possible terror ties extended to his Bangladeshi homeland Tuesday, where local counterterrorism cops were grilling his wife, Jannatul Ferdous Jui, and in-laws.

Ullah last visited Bangladesh in September to see his wife and newborn son. He returned to the U.S. on Oct. 22, leaving behind his family members, relatives said.

Bomb in NYC attack contained Christmas tree bulb, small battery

Ullah’s uncle said the suspect rarely left his family’s apartment on his recent visit. “He went out of his residence to offer prayers at a nearby mosque,” the uncle, Abdul Ahad told The Associated Press.

Acting U.S. Attorney Joon Kim says Ullah wanted to kill in support of a terrorist cause. 

Acting U.S. Attorney Joon Kim says Ullah wanted to kill in support of a terrorist cause. 

Ullah, who is recovering from burns and cuts to his hands and stomach at Bellevue Hospital, is expected to appear before a judge Wednesday.

His neighbors on Ocean Parkway in Kensington said he lived a shadowy existence.

“He was a loner,” said Joseph Ruggiero, 84.

“When I’d see him, it would only be for an elevator ride. We never talked.”

Ullah lived for a time at his parents’ home on E. 48th St. in Flatlands, where he was spotting having a heated argument with his mother and dad late Sunday.

“Everyone in the neighborhood heard it,” said Youry Valcin, 21, who noted the trio were arguing in Bengali.

Valcin said he spotted Ullah leave the home and hop into a car about 6 a.m. on Monday.

Ullah looked “depressed” and “sad,” Valcin said.

About two hours later, cops were banging on Valcin’s door in search of information.

“People got hurt yesterday,” Valcin said. “(To) find out he was behind that, it was kind of surreal.” 

With , , ,

times square
akayed ullah
port authority explosion
donald trump
port authority
joon kim

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:

News Rss

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *