NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Monday, February 29, 2016, 9:33 AM
Looks like #OscarsSoWhite is now #OscarsNotSoBright.
In the midst of a national conversation about movie industry racism, the website Total Beauty identified Whoopi Goldberg as Oprah Winfrey – a mistake so bad that even Winfrey took to social media to mock it.
The beauty site made the mistake in a caption under a tweeted photo of Goldberg on the Oscars red carpet that read, “We had no idea Oprah was tatted, and we love it. #Oscars.”
Winfrey’s best pal Gayle King promptly uploaded a pic on Instagram of Winfrey sitting next to King’s daughter Kirby Bumpus. The talk show titan is seen holding up the hare-brained tweet with a puzzled expression on her face while Bumpus has her mouth open in apparent shock.
King captioned the photo: “@Oprah & favorite daughter watching #Oscars & seeing @totalbeautyeditors snafu! We all love @whoopigoldberg but we don’t all look alike Jeeeze!”
Whoopi Goldberg on the red carpet at the Oscars.
Enlarge gayleking/via Instagram
Gayle King posted a photo of a shocked Oprah Winfrey and King’s daughter Kirby looking at a tweet that identifies Winfrey as Whoopi Goldberg.
The company quickly issued an apology writing: “We’d like to apologize to Oprah and Whoopi, as well as everyone we’ve offended. It was our error, and there are no excuses. We’re sorry.”
It was too late: The offending tweet had already inspired its own hashtag #ThatsNotOprah. Even actress Holly Robinson Peete weighed in tweeting, “Come on @TotalBeauty There are only a few of us there smh.”
- Stars shine at the Vanity Fair Oscar Party
- Chris Rock’s Oscar ratings were at eight-year low
- Oprah reacts to being identified as Whoopi Goldberg
- Aaron Rodgers photobombs Common on Oscars red carpet
- Abe Vigoda not mentioned in Oscars In Memoriam segment
- Oscars 2016: Winners and losers celebrate at after-parties
- 10 way overdue actors who deserve an Oscar
- Oscars 2016: Winners, losers and top moments
- DiCaprio ‘grateful’ to use Oscar win to speak out
- Ben Affleck avoids divorce topic in post Oscars show
- View All