Home / Gossips / Networks avoiding post-prison O.J. Simpson interview

Networks avoiding post-prison O.J. Simpson interview

O.J. Simpson reportedly wants a seven-figure payout for an exclusive television interview.

So far, it seems, not a single network is biting.

Simpson was released from the Lovelock Correctional Center in Nevada after midnight on Oct. 1, after serving nine years for armed robbery and kidnapping.

This file photo taken on Jan. 4, 1995 shows O.J.Simpson (L) as he looks over the shoulder of his lead defense attorney, Robert Shapiro, in Los Angeles. Now, Simpson has been released from prison for a separate 2007 incident, and is seeking a TV interview.

This file photo taken on Jan. 4, 1995 shows O.J.Simpson (L) as he looks over the shoulder of his lead defense attorney, Robert Shapiro, in Los Angeles. Now, Simpson has been released from prison for a separate 2007 incident, and is seeking a TV interview.

(MICHAEL NELSON/AFP/Getty Images)

Simpson, now 70, the former college football and NFL great, has associates reportedly pursuing a huge payday for an interview with the controversial figure.

Still, networks like ABC, CBS and NBC are reportedly refusing to budge, citing a violation of news division standards if payment were to be made, the Hollywood Reporter writes.

What’s more, sources tell THR that other cable TV groups like A+E Networks and Discovery, are also passing on the interview opportunity.

Insider sources have told THR that the situation is “treacherous,” and that some won’t touch it with a “10-foot pole.”

Simpson was acquitted for the murders of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman in 1994 — in a famous case that sprung the recent FX miniseries — but wound up serving time regardless, following the 2007 mixup.

AP PROVIDES ACCESS TO THIS PUBLICLY DISTRIBUTED HANDOUT PHOTO PROVIDED BY NEVADA DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS; MANDATORY CREDIT.

Former football legend O.J. Simpson signs documents at the Lovelock Correctional Center, Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017, in Lovelock, Nev. Simpson was released from the Lovelock Correctional Center in northern Nevada early Sunday, Oct. 1, 2017.

(Brooke Keast/AP)

According to THR, any money he would prospectively earn on an interview would be subject to seizure by debtors collecting on behalf of the Brown and Goldman families. That’s because in 1997, Simpson faced a civil case for wrongful death, which left him with a $ 33.5 million judgment to pay forward.

David Cook, a California attorney who’s collecting from Simpson on behalf of the Goldmans, said on Oct. 1 that the $ 33.5 million sum has increased to nearly $ 70 million, due to interest.

Further sources tell THR that Simpson’s appearance on a major news program would not immediately cause a swift departure of advertisers, but if something of an anti-O.J. movement began, advertisers could disappear.

Tags:
o.j. simpson

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Gossip Rss

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*