NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Updated: Friday, December 4, 2015, 5:46 PM
Obesity is a common problem in the U.S. , and all over the world. It is estimated that more than one-third of adults (72 million people) and 17% of children in the U.S. are obese.
The most common causes of obesity include a lack of physical activity and eating an unhealthy diet. Obesity-related conditions include heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer. These are some of the leading causes of preventable death.
Some key statistics about obesity:
– More than 1 in 3 Americans (35.7%) are obese
– More than two-thirds (68.8%) of adults in the U.S. are overweight or obese
– Almost 3 in 4 men (74%) are considered to be overweight or obese
Obesity by race:
– 47.8% — Non-Hispanic blacks
– 42.5% — Hispanics
– 32.6 percent — Non-Hispanic whites
– 10.8% – Non-Hispanic Asians
A person is considered obese when they have a body mass index (also known as BMI) of 30 or higher. The body mass index is an estimation of how much body fat a person has.
The body mass index is calculated by dividing your weight in kilograms by your height in meters squared. Here is a chart to understand what your body mass index means:
More than one-third of adults (72 million people) and 17% of children in the U.S. are obese.
– Below 18.5 – underweight
– 18.5-24.9 – normal
– 25-29.9 – overweight
– 30-34.9 – obese (Class I)
– 35-39.9 – obese (Class II)
– 40 and higher – extreme obesity (Class III)
Research suggests that obesity can interfere with your sex life and reduce your sex drive. A previous study showed that up to 30% of obese people seeking help to control their weight reported problems with sex drive, desire, performance, or all three.
Fortunately, there are things you can do to boost your libido:
– Lose weight (obviously). Even losing just 10 pounds can stimulate sex hormones.
– Eat more nutritious foods, which control cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
– Key your workouts to getting blood flowing to the pelvic area.
– Learn to accept your body at any size, and find a partner who does as well.