Electoral officials sort out ballot papers at the end of presidential elections in Conakry, Guinea, Sunday, Oct. 11, 2015. Guinea’s president and main opposition candidate called for calm Sunday when they voted in the country’s presidential election, after days of electoral clashes. (AP Photo/Youssouf Bah)
By BOUBACAR DIALLO, Associated Press
CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) — Guinea’s opposition candidates say they will not recognize provisional results for the country’s presidential election, citing fraud.
Main opposition candidate Cellou Dalein Diallo and the six other candidates who are running against President Alpha Conde spoke Monday at a press conference. They called for the cancellation of the election.
Diallo said that ballot boxes were stuffed and there was intimidation.
Another opposition candidate Lansana Kouyate said some of his supporters were prevented from voting.
Electoral commission spokesman Salif Kebe said results are expected from one to three days after the polls closed Sunday evening.
The opposition last week called for a delay, but the electoral commission said everything was in order.
Police and gendarmerie watched as millions of Guineans voted Sunday at some 14,800 polling stations.
Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.