“Bachelor” star Chris Soules can ditch an unwanted accessory.
The reality TV star was granted permission by a judge on Monday to remove an electronic monitoring device, which he was previously ordered to wear after being accused of leaving the scene of a fatal crash, according to documents obtained by the Daily News.
His charges were later changed to not remaining at the scene of a fatal crash.
The 36-year-old appeared in court on Monday after filing a motion to dismiss the felony charge.
His lawyers previously argued that he remained at the scene and called 911 before leaving. Soules was later arrested at his home.
“He then did the morally and legally responsible thing by staying on the scene and remaining on the scene of the accident until emergency governmental authorities arrived,” his attorney Robert Montgomery told the judge, noting that the law does not state he needed to remain at the scene to talk with law enforcement.
Soules can now remove his ankle monitor.
The crash killed 66-year-old Kenneth Mosher.
Soules requested the judge dismiss the charge, but is unclear what decision was made as of Tuesday morning.
The clerk of the court said in a document obtained by The News that there will be no public access to “exhibit C” provided by Soules as it would impact the testimony.
The farmer-turned-TV personality’s attorney Alfredo Parris told KCRG that he is distraught over the fatal accident.
“It’s tragic, it’s his neighbor,” Parris said. “He’s still quite distressed by the whole matter and obviously facing charges as a result where he tried to comply with everything that was necessary under the law, all that is a very distressful situation for any citizen.”