NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Wednesday, December 30, 2015, 7:45 PM
Former supermodel Beverly Johnson is living her life like an open book.
“I wanted to let people really get to know me,” Johnson tells the Daily News of inspiration behind her new memoir “The Face that Changed It All,” which chronicles her career, struggle with substance abuse and hardships she faced as a young model.
The 62-year-old fashion icon made headlines recently for saying she forgives comedian Bill Cosby for allegedly assaulting her during a fake “audition” in the mid-1980s and recounts the incident in her book.
“People think they know, but they don’t. Sometimes in the world of celebrity-hood you only see the outside and don’t really get to know all the struggles and obstacles and demons that we have to overcome,” she adds.
Johnson admits she was “scared” to be candid about her encounter with Cosby adding that her editors initially rejected the chapter out of fear that the comedian’s legal team would “sue them.”
After more than 30 years of struggling to tell her story, Johnson says she’s moving forward.
“I’m a person of forgiveness and in order to move on you must forgive.”
The Buffalo native sat front row at the Herve Leger show Saturday at New York Fashion Week where she celebrated the 41st year of being the first black model to grace the cover of Vogue in 1974.
- New York fashion model fighting cancer becomes role model
- Top 10 Spring 2016 trends from New York Fashion Week
- New York Fashion Week, Day 7: Michael Kors, Naeem Khan
- ‘Orange is the New Black’ cast does time at J. Crew
- New DKNY designers debut at New York Fashion Week
- Kanye West debuts new song at Yeezy Season 2 fashion show
- Jeremy Scott talks negativity, Miley Cyrus’ humor and heart
- Victoria Beckham’s thin models spark Fashion Week ire
- New York Fashion Week Day 6: Looks long on glamour
- Oscar de la Renta’s Peter Copping gets fashion forward
- This week’s fashion shows are a thinsult!
- Beth Ostrosky Stern: I am a crazy cat lady
- Model with Down syndrome Madeline Stuart tours Manhattan
- New York Fashion Week Day Five: Tommy Hilfiger, Reem Acra
- Kanye West’s fashion show called ‘unethical’ by designer
- View All