(NEWSER) – Not all the news is doom and gloom. Here are some of our favorite stories from the week to prove it:
- Superfan Gets Dying Wish, Sees Star Wars Movie Early: Daniel Fleetwood, 32, was diagnosed with a rare cancer in July and given just months to live. A Star Warssuperfan, one of Fleetwood’s final wishes was to see the new film, but he likely won’t make it until December. Online support poured in for him, using the hashtag #ForceForDaniel. It worked. Even some of the movie’s stars got on board to sway the studio.
- Man With Down Syndrome Lives Bodybuilding Dream: A 22-year-old man with Down Syndrome who befriended a bodybuilder a year ago now finds himself prepping for a competition himself later this month. The before-and-after images are striking.
- Deaf Community Applauds Viral Starbucks Order: A Florida Starbucks has made it easy for deaf customers to order at the drive-thru—and video of one deaf woman’s experience has been viewed millions of times. Much of the credit goes to a young worker who took it upon herself to learn sign language.
- Kids Lose Parents in Wreck, Cop Takes Unusual Step: When a Georgia couple was killed in a car crash, a 24-year-old state trooper decided that their four kids, ages 6 to 13, should hear the news from a loved one, not a stranger. He took the children out for burgers, followed by a movie night, and bought time for their grandmother to break the news the following morning. And he’s not done trying to help the kids.
- ‘Saddest Dog in the World’ Gets Some Good News: A photo of a dog in an animal rescue kennel, dubbed “The Saddest Dog in the World,” got nearly 10,000 shares after it was posted online. But now, some much happier news for Lana, the 1-year-old Lab. More than 2,200 applications for adoption poured in, and Lana will soon be going home. The photo is indeed heartbreaking.
Click for more uplifting stories.
Newser is a USA TODAY content partner providing general news, commentary and coverage from around the Web. Its content is produced independently of USA TODAY.
Read or Share this story: http://usat.ly/1NBVa5Z