Home / Top Story / Wife’s protective order says Keith Lamont Scott owned handgun

Wife’s protective order says Keith Lamont Scott owned handgun

A protective order filed in 2015 against Keith Lamont Scott says that he owned a handgun without a permit.

A protective order filed in 2015 against Keith Lamont Scott says that he owned a handgun without a permit.

(Facebook)

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Updated: Tuesday, September 27, 2016, 4:58 PM

A protective order filed by Keith Lamont Scott’s wife last year said that the man shot and killed by police in Charlotte said that he hit her son and had a handgun without a permit.

Rakeyia Scott received a restraining order last October after saying that her husband had hit her 8-year-old three times with his fist and kicked her earlier that month.

“He said he is a ‘killer’ and we should know that,” she said in the filing.

She dropped the order 11 days after filing for it, saying that the father of seven no longer posed a threat to the family, according to documents seen by WSOC.

Officer who fatally shot Keith Scott known as a ‘mad’ footballer

In the original request for legal protections from her husband, Rakeyia Scott had that her husband was a threat to law enforcement because he had a black 9mm handgun and asked that the Court prevent him from possessing a firearm.

Much of the debate over the shooting of Keith Lamont Scott centers on whether and how he was holding a gun, with police saying he posed a threat to officers and his family saying he did not.

Videos of the incident that have been made public after continued protests do not show definitively whether he is holding a weapon, though he is seen with his hands at his sides in a dash camera clip.

HANDOUT EDITORIAL USE ONLY/NO SALES

Video released by police does not shed definitive light on whether Keith Lamont Scott was a threat to officers.

(CHARLOTTE POLICE DEPARTMENT/ HANDOUT/EPA)

A gun found by police after the shooting had been reported from a residential break-in and a burglar admitted to selling the weapon to Scott, law enforcement sources told multiple outlets Monday.

Gun allegedly found on Keith Scott reported stolen

Scott had a 2005 felony assault conviction for shooting and wounding a man in Texas, and it is not immediately clear how he obtained the gun mentioned in the protective order.

Scott Bamberg, an attorney for the Scott family, told the New York Times that the 43-year-old’s past does not matter when deciding whether police were justified in killing him.

Scott's death led to continued protests in Charlotte, N.C., and around the country.

Scott’s death led to continued protests in Charlotte, N.C., and around the country.

(MIKE BLAKE/REUTERS)

“Regardless of what details come out about his past, about what he may or may not have done in the past, nothing changes the footage we’ve seen,” he said.

The attorney did not reply to a request for additional comment from the Daily News.

With News Wire Services

Tags:
keith lamont scott
charlotte
north carolina
protests
police shootings
gun violence
black lives matter
racial injustice

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet


Top News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*