Donald Trump is still talking about the Central Park Five.
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Friday, October 7, 2016, 10:15 AM
Donald Trump continues to hammer away at the Central Park Five even though they have long been exonerated for the rape of a jogger in 1989.
The Republican presidential candidate told CNN in a statement this week that “they admitted they were guilty. The police doing the original investigation say they were guilty. The fact that that case was settled with so much evidence against them is outrageous. And the woman, so badly injured, will never be the same.”
The five teens spent several years in jail, but the charges were dropped in 2002 after convicted killer and rapist Matias Reyes confessed to the crime. Authorities were able to tie Reyes’ DNA to the Central Park attack, but no DNA evidence had been found to connect the teens. The Central Park Five eventually won a $ 41 million settlement.
After the attack, Trump took out a full-page ad in local newspapers that seemed to call for the five teens to receive the death penalty.
“I want to hate these muggers and murderers,” he wrote. “They should be forced to suffer and, when they kill, they should be executed for their crimes.”
Korey Wise, Antron McCray, Kevin Richardson, Raymond Santana, and Yusef Salaam attend the 2012 NYC Doc Festival Closing Night Screening Of “The Central Park Five” in New York City.
(D Dipasupil/Getty Images)
“They must serve as examples so that others will think long and hard before committing a crime or an act of violence.”
Trump did admit last year that the Central Park Five should not have been given the death penalty because the 28-year-old jogger did not die. However, he ripped Mayor de Blasio for the $ 41 million settlement.
“They should be very thankful I wasn’t mayor because they wouldn’t have gotten a dime,” Trump said.