Home / Top Story / President Trump announces London trip is canceled, blames Obama

President Trump announces London trip is canceled, blames Obama

President Trump announced he was canceling a trip to London in a late night tweet that blamed his predecessor Barack Obama for a ‘bad deal’ involving a new U.S. embassy.

Trump was expected to travel to the UK next month to open a new U.S. embassy in southwest London, as protest groups threatened to stage the “biggest demonstration in British history.”

Trump tweeted, “Reason I canceled my trip to London is that I am not a big fan of the Obama Administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for “peanuts,” only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars. Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!”

UK Prime Minister Theresa May extended an invitation to the president when she became the first world leader to visit Trump’s White House last year.

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to UK Prime Minister Theresa May during in a working dinner meeting during a NATO summit in Brussels, Belgium, May 25, 2017.

(POOL/REUTERS)

But Trump sparked a strong backlash in November when he retweeted a video from the far-right group Britain First that purportedly showed a group of Muslims pushing a boy off a roof.

May publicly rebuked Trump for the tweet and said, “The fact that we work together does not mean that we are afraid to say when we think that the United States have got it wrong and to be very clear with them. I am very clear that retweeting from Britain First was the wrong thing to do.”

London Mayor Sadiq Khan, who has feuded with Trump on numerous ocassions, said, “President Trump has used Twitter to promote a vile, extremist group that exists solely to sow division and hatred in our country. It’s increasingly clear that any official visit from President Trump to Britain would not be welcomed.”

Not Released (NR)

UK Prime Minister Theresa May extended an invitation to the president when she became the first world leader to visit Trump’s White House last year.

(Christopher Furlong/Getty Images)

It was announced in 2008 that the U.S. embassy, which was originally located in Grosvenor Square in the Mayfair district, would be relocated to Nine Elms in Wandsworth.

The embassy was vulnerable to terrorist attacks despite a $ 15million renovation to increase security enhancements.

One planning official bemoaned the move in 2015 and told the New York Times, “It’s like moving from the New York’s Upper East Side to New Jersey.” But the State Department defended the decision by saying it was the result of a “long and careful process.”

Robert Tuttle, the ambassador appointed by George W. Bush, said in 2008, “We looked at all our options, including renovation of our current building on Gorsvenor Square. In the end, we realized that the goal of a modern, secure and environmentally sustainable Embassy could best be met by constructing a new facility.”

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

News Rss

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*