Israeli medical services say at least two people have been killed and 20 wounded in a pair of separate attacks in Jerusalem. (Oct. 13)
Israel’s military said it started deploying hundreds of soldiers to cities Wednesday to assist police forces, after weeks of shooting and stabbing attacks on Israelis by Palestinians.
Israel’s security cabinet met Tuesday night and approved several measures after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the government was working on “aggressive steps” in response to the violence.
Troops from six units will reinforce the police in cities and on roads, the government said in a statement Wednesday.
“The Israel Police is authorized to impose a closure on, or to surround, centers of friction and incitement in Jerusalem, in accordance with security considerations,” it added.
Other measures include hiring an extra 300 security guards for public transportation in Jerusalem and barring any new construction on sites where a terrorist’s home has been demolished. The government said the property of terrorists who perpetrate attacks will be confiscated and their permanent residency revoked.
The security cabinet will reconvene Wednesday afternoon “to deal with additional issues including incitement,” the statement said.
The measures came after three Israeli Jews were killed and a number of others wounded by Palestinian attackers in Jerusalem and the city of Ra’anana in central Israel on Tuesday. In Jerusalem, two assailants opened fire and stabbed people on a bus, killing two men. In a separate incident in the city, a driver rammed his car into people waiting at a bus stop and began stabbing people, killing a man.
Mustafa Barghouti, president of the Palestinian National Initiative, a political party, told Al Jazeera that the new measures will not work.
“Insanity is nothing but repeating the same thing but expecting different results,” he said. “When they decide to separate East and West Jerusalem it only proves that they have failed. The whole ideas of walls and checkpoints is only deepening the military occupation.”
Also Wednesday, Gilad Erdan, Israel’s internal security minister, said the bodies of dead Palestinian attackers should not be returned to their families for burial because the funeral processions often turn into “an exhibition of support for terror and incitement to murder,” the Associated Press reported. Erdan suggested they be buried in faraway cemeteries where previous Palestinian attackers also have been buried.
Since the Jewish New Year last month, eight Israelis have been killed and dozens wounded in various attacks and at least 27 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire, including 11 identified by Israel as attackers. The rest died in clashes between stone-throwers and Israeli troops. Hundreds of Palestinians have also been wounded.
Read or Share this story: http://usat.ly/1LtvsPU