Home / Top Story / Bronx judge tosses charges in child sex abuse case

Bronx judge tosses charges in child sex abuse case

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Friday, March 4, 2016, 4:00 AM

Judge Marc Whiten was fuming when he was forced to toss all sex abuse charges against a man because the mothers of the victims refused to allow their daughters to speak to authorities.Michael Schwartz/for New York Daily News

Judge Marc Whiten was fuming when he was forced to toss all sex abuse charges against a man because the mothers of the victims refused to allow their daughters to speak to authorities.

A fed-up Bronx judge was forced to toss all charges Thursday against a man accused of sexually abusing his step-daughters after the victims’ relatives refused to let them cooperate with authorities.

“While it would appear that those children would have been better raised by cats or dogs or crawled on their own in a forest, the fact is, without cooperation, the people are left with no other option and this court with no other option either,” fumed Judge Marc Whiten in Bronx Supreme Court, before dismissing the case.

“It is unfortunate that such a circumstance can exist, if there is any possibility that these charges are true,” Whiten went on. “But other than this circumstance, this matter is dismissed. Goodbye.”

Ivory Anderson, 31, was arrested in July 2015 after one of the girls told police that he repeatedly raped her in an apartment on Webster Ave. in Claremont from May 2006 to Sept. 2008, according to court records.

She had been between 9 and 12 years old at the time of the alleged abuse.

INDIANA DAD WHO ADMITTED MOLESTING HIS CANCER-STRICKEN 6-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER AVOIDS JAIL

Another girl had told cops that Anderson groped her in the same apartment several times from Sept. 2008 to June 2010, when she was between 9 and 11 years old.

The News is withholding the names of both girls.

Whiten slammed the victims’ families for not working with authorities to take the case to trial.

“Apparently, the mother or mothers who allegedly had them and brought them onto this earth felt there was no need to cooperate with such a tragedy happening in their child’s lives,” said Whiten as he granted the district attorney’s office’s begrudging request to throw out charges against Anderson.

Prosecutors said that they had pleaded with the mothers to bring the victims forward — but could not convince them to cooperate before the six-month deadline expired for securing an indictment from a grand jury.

SUBWAY PERV NABBED AFTER GROPING 8-YEAR-OLD ON 7 TRAIN IN QUEENS

Subpoenas sent to the homes of the victims went unanswered, prosecutors said.

“The complaining witnesses have proved themselves to be uncooperative despite various attempts from our office to reach out to them and bring them in,” said prosecutor Christina Arno.

Anderson had pleaded not guilty to all of the charges.

He covered his face Thursday as he left the courthouse.

bkochman@nydailynews.com

Tags:
daily news exclusives ,
crimes against children ,
new york sexual assaults ,
sex crimes


Top News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*